The minimum ages for Undergraduate Applications is 18 on 1st September preceding the start of the programme.
The LPMAM will require evidence of professional performing potential in your principal study alongside sound general musicianship and a good aural response.
We do not consider it necessary to have taken any formal practical music examinations, preferring instead to focus on demonstrative ability, but as a guide to the technical standards we expect, you should consult the syllabuses for Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM) examinations at Grade 8 and DipABRSM level or Trinity/Guildhall examinations at Grade 8 and Associate Diploma (ATCL) level.
If your principal study is not a keyboard instrument, there is no formal minimum entry standard in keyboard skills expected at the audition, but ABRSM Grade 5 minimum (or equivalent) in piano is desirable for you to fully participate in the course and to enable you to improve your general musicianship.
Prior to entry on to the LPMAM Bachelor Degree programme you have to have gained relevant academic qualifications as follows:
- English & Welsh Applicants: two passes at GCE Advanced-level (A2) or Pre-U certificate examinations, including Music. A pass at ‘AS’ level counts as half an A-level.
- Scottish Applicants: B grade and at least four C-grade passes in Scottish Higher, including Music. An A-C grade Advanced Higher qualification is considered to be equivalent to an A-level pass.
- Irish Applicants: B grade and at least four C-grade passes in the Senior Leaving Certificate (Higher Level).
Other qualifications which are accepted as equivalent to a Music A-level:
- A pass in ABRSM Grade 8 Theory plus a pass in ABRSM or Trinity/Guildhall Grade 8 Practical
- BTEC (with three full units at Merit, or higher): a National Award in Music
Alternatively, the following will satisfy the application’s academic requirements:
- BTEC (with three full units at Merit, or higher): National Certificate or National Diploma
- ‘Access to Higher Education’ Diploma in Music
- International Baccalaureate: the Diploma, including music as a Group 6 subject
Entry to Year 2 or Year 3 of the BMus
For within the BMus course the LPMAM will require satisfactory transcripts to show that you have passed Year 1 or Years 1 & 2 of a music degree at another institution. In addition, evidence will be needed that you have successfully covered the study areas which you would have to complete at the LPMAM to progress into Year 2 or into Year 3 (progression requirements). See www.lpmam.com/programmes-of-study.
For International Students
Academic Entrance Requirements
Prior to acceptance on to the Batchelor Degree Programme, you need to provide evidence that you have gained suitable academic qualifications.
A secondary school certificate of a sufficiently high level to permit university entry will generally be acceptable, however applications will be examined on an individual basis by the Admissions Board.
Please note these particular details for the following countries:
- China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan: Normally a High School certificate/diploma plus one year’s university-level study
- Russian Federation: Normally two years’ university-level study.
Confirming your qualifications
You should send photocopies of official transcripts or certificates to support your application. Please do not include original documentation. If we offer you a place you will then need to supply original documentation to the Registry prior to enrolment.
If your first language is not English, you must supply evidence of your proficiency in English, from:
- GCSE English Language at Grade C or above
- International GCSE in English as a Second Language at grade C or above
- IELTS Test of the British Council at 6.0 or above with a minimum score of 6.0 in the Writing sub-test
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) at 550 or above with computer-based total of 213 or above
- UCLES Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) at grade C or above
INTO English Language Programmes
If you need to improve your English language skills before you enter this course, INTO City University London offers a range of English language courses. These intensive and flexible courses are designed to improve your English ability for entry to this degree.
- BMus Full-time EU: £9,000
- BMus Full-time Non EU: £18,000
- Year- In and Organ Foundation Full-time EU: £9,000
- Year- In and Organ Foundation Full-time Non EU: £18,000